Pancreatic cancer grows inside the tissues of your pancreas, an important endocrine organ in the lower part of the stomach. This organ releases enzymes which help in digestion and develop hormones that manage the blood sugar. There can be different types of growth in the pancreas that include cancerous as well as noncancerous tumors. When determining the best pancreatic cancer treatment in India, the first step is to look for the type of cancer.
Based on the type of cancer, the doctor will recommend the treatment of pancreatic cancer:
● Exocrine Tumors – A majority of cancer in the pancreas is developed of exocrine cells. Moreover, tumors impacting these cells are known as adenocarcinomas. It generally grows in the glands that release fluids and are found in other organs such as the lungs, prostate, and breast.
● Endocrine Tumors – Such tumors are not common and are generally benign. While uncommon, cancers growing from the pancreatic endocrine tumor adversely affect the cells that produce hormones. This tumor is also known as neuroendocrine tumors or islet cell tumors.
If you experience these symptoms regularly, then you should seek pancreatic cancer treatment India:
● Abdominal Pain
● Back Pain
● Weight Loss
● Appetite Loss
● High Blood Sugar
Diagnostic testing determines the type of cancer the patient is suffering from. Based on the diagnosis, treatment of cancer is determined. Following are the diagnosis test involved –
● Imaging Tests – These tests use Computerized Tomography (CT) scans, ultrasounds, Positron Emission Tomography scans, or Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) scans to produce detailed pictures in order to spot the abnormalities.
● Biopsy – The doctor inserts a thin needle into your pancreas through the abdomen to acquire a sample of the suspected tissue.
● Endoscopic Ultrasound – A flexible, thin tube is inserted down the esophagus and to the stomach to get a view of the pancreas.
● Blood Test – It is done for specific protein released by the pancreatic cancer cells.
Based on the following stages, the doctor will determine pancreatic cancer treatment India:
● Stage 0 – In this stage, the tumor growth is limited to the upper layer of the cells within the pancreas duct.
● Stage 1 – While the growth remains limited within the pancreas, cancer has grown around 2 centimeters.
● Stage 2 - In this local spread stage, the growth of pancreatic cancer has expanded to more than 4 centimeters. In this stage, cancer may have also grown outside the pancreas or spread to the lymph nodes nearby.
● Stage 3 - In this stage, the growth of the tumor has expanded to the major nerves and blood vessels nearby. However, it has not spread or metastasized to other organs at a distance.
● Stage 4 – This is the stage where there is a confirmed spread of the tumor to other distant organs.
Based on the types of cancer and its stage, the doctor will be recommending you the treatment. Following are the options:
● Radiation therapy
● Targeted therapy
Treatment of pancreatic cancer depends on multiple factors that include type and stage of cancer, patient’s preference, overall health, and side effects associated. Ensure to associate with a cancer facility that offers exceptional cancer treatment. A cancer specialist with strong experience and a good practice portfolio will ensure that you get the best treatment. Additionally, a facility with state of the art infrastructure and equipment will add to the quality of the services.